Monday 2 June 2014

Designs to Try - Water Marble + Pictorial

Taking a short break from 1 polish, 5 designs today and trying a technique I've wanted to do for a while, which is water marbling. Water marbling is known as being notoriously difficult but results are worthwhile if you can get it right. I think I got it almost right, just have a look at the image below.


The base of this design is Sinful Colors - Snow Me White and the rest of the polishes are by Chi Chi Cosmetics. The dark blue is He So Fly, the pink is Look At Me and the light purple is Mile High Club. Some of the fingers are a little messy as occasionally the polish wouldn't spread and I got impatient and dipped my finger anyway. By the time I did my right hand (yes, I water marbled both hands), I was finally getting the hang of it. I wouldn't recommend this technique if you don't have a lot of patience and time to clean up properly because it is very messy. I'll post the pictorial below, it pretty basic but shows the general steps along the way.


So first I painted my nails white and waited for them to dry. I then used tape to tape up the sides and below my nails so the polish wouldn't get everywhere (these ended up falling off so half way through I gave up and just dunked my fingers but I would recommend the tap). I then dropped my chosen polish into room temperature tap water. I found it worked best if I dropped a large amount of colour from a height. Once I had enough polish, I used a toothpick to drag a desired pattern into the dropped polish. I did not drag from the outside circle as these were dry and would have messed up the pattern. I then dunked my fingers into an area of polish that had a good pattern (I dipped my middle and pointer finger at the same time and tried to do my index and pinky at one but stuffed up so did them separately). I used the toothpick and swirled it around to remove the excess polish. I removed the tape from around my fingers and used a toothpick to add on dots where there was white or bubbles. Finally I cleaned my cuticles with acetone and added my topcoat (which is what is shown in the last picture). 

There are plenty of youtube tutorials for water marbling, just search for water marble nails.

I'm pretty pleased with how these ended up. If I had more patience I would have redone a few of the fingers I stuffed up on but I don't really have patience haha. Hope you enjoy these! Good luck if you decide to have a go!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave a comment here!