Friday 6 June 2014

Designs to Try - Negative Space + Pictorial

So you may have realised that in conjunction to my 1 Polish, 5 Designs challenge, I have also created a series of blog posts called Designs to Try. These designs are those that I've seen others do, or have thought up, that I can do while taking a break from 1 Polish, 5 Designs.

Today's Design to Try are negative space nails. This means leaving one section of your nail unpainted. In this case the centre of my nail is unpainted with a black freehand design over the top, as seen below.



The polishes used in this design are all by Ultra3, I super cheap brand that has recently been stocked at Coles stores in Victoria, Australia. The colours I used were Tahiti, the bright orange red top stripe, Sizzling Red, the red bottom colour and Black Satin, the outline and triangles. The below pictorial shows the steps to recreate this design.


Step 1: Prep your fingers by removing all polish and adding a base coat. The base coat I used here is Sally Hansen, Smooth and Strong.
Step 2: Free hand a half moon shape at the top of your nail (I used a cut down paint brush) and fill in using your chosen colour. Here I used Tahiti by Ultra3. 
Step 3: Carefully clean up cuticles using acetone (this can be left until the end, I just did it here to see how my design was going).
Step 4: Free hand the half moon shape at the bottom of your nail and fill in with your chosen colour. I used Sizzling Red by Ultra3. It does not matter if there are some mistakes as these can be covered with black later.
Step 5: One again, carefully clean your cuticles with acetone. It is best to clean them at this step so that you can easily see where to do your outline in the next step.
Step 6: Using a thin stripping brush or a cut down paint brush (my recommended brush as you can cut it to any size), use your black polish to carefully outline your nail and each shape.
Step 7: Using the same brush and black paint, free hand the triangle shapes over the section of nail not painted (Can be skipped if you don't like the triangles and just want a strip of bare nail). 
Step 8: Coat the whole thing with a fast dry top coat, I used Sally Hansen Insta dry, and you're good to go! 

Hopefully you enjoy these pictorials. If you do please let me know and I'll keep doing them!Also I would love to hear from you so do feel free to comment or follow if you like what I do. Now check out the rest of the pictures :D






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave a comment here!